I first created this crumb cake 20 years ago for Enlightened Home Cooking in 1996 and I still whip it up all the time. My children can bake it blindfolded! Here’s proof you don’t have to eliminate chocolate when you eat light! You can use 9-inch springform pan instead of a Bundt pan-just check the cake at 30 to 40 minutes to see if it needs to cook a few minutes longer. For a pretty presentation, sprinkle lightly with icing sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch Bundt pan with cooking oil.
2. Beat the ricotta, oil and granulated sugar in a large bowl or food processor. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the cheese mixture in batches, alternating with the yogurt. Mix just until everything is incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Combine the brown sugar, cocoa and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle half the sugar mixture over the batter in the pan. Add the remaining batter and top with the remaining sugar mixture.
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out dry.
6. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. When it’s completely cool, invert it carefully onto a serving plate.
8 oz smooth light ricotta
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Nutritional Information per Serving
Protein 5 g
Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Fiber 2 g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare a day in advance or freeze for up to 2 weeks