I’ve created many burgers, but this Tex-Mex version is one of my favorites. There is definitely no need for a bun with these delicious toppings. Serve these with baked tortilla chips or a side dish of black beans.
1. Spray a small non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the red and green pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Place the beef, egg, garlic, breadcrumbs, salsa and the 1/4 cup cilantro in a large bowl. Add the onion mixture. Mix well and form into 4 patties. Insert a piece of cheese into the center of each burger and enclose it completely.
3. Spray a non-stick grill pan or barbecue with cooking oil and heat to medium. Grill the burgers for 7 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the center.
4. While the burgers are cooking, make the topping. Mix the 1/3 cup salsa, avocado and 2 Tbsp cilantro in a small bowl.
5. Place the burgers on individual serving plates. Garnish with the salsa topping.
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1 lb extra-lean ground beef
2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
Four 1/2-inch cubes (1 oz) of aged cheddar cheese
1/3 cup diced ripe avocado
1/4 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs
1/3 cup medium salsa
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 27 g
Fat 10.6 g
Saturated Fat 2.9 g
Carbohydrates 17 g
Cholesterol 119 mg
Sodium 337 mg
Fiber 2.6 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 19 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare the burgers to the grilling stage a day in advance, wrap well and refrigerate. Grill just before serving.