Everyone loves onion soup with all that thick melted cheese spilling over the bowl—but when made like that, it’s not a healthy choice. This soup has delicious caramelized onions and a small sliced baguette with a tablespoon of cheese melted on top. You’ll find this is the perfect amount of cheese to satisfy your appetite.
1. Lightly coat a large, nonstick pot with cooking spray, add the oil and set over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until softened but not browned. Stir in the garlic and sugar and continue cooking over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often or until the onions are golden brown.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
3. Stir in the stock, wine, thyme, salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, lightly coat the baguette slices on both sides with cooking spray, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden on top. Turn the slices over and sprinkle the toasted side with the 2 cheeses. Turn the oven to broil, and broil the toasts for about 30 seconds or until the cheese melts.
5. Serve the soup in bowls with 1 cheese toast placed on top, and garnish with parsley.
2 tsp vegetable oil
6 cups sliced Spanish onion cut into 1/4-inch rings
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tsp brown sugar
4 1/2 cups chicken (or beef) stock
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp fresh
pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
6 slices whole wheat
baguette, cut 1/2 inch thick
3 Tbsp shredded Swiss cheese
3 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
3 Tbsp chopped parsley
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 8 g
Fat 2.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Carbohydrates 31 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 635 mg
Fiber 2.7 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 42 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare up to a day in advance and reheat gently. Broil toasts just before serving.
Nutrition Watch: Spanish onions are packed with antioxidants that have cancer-fighting properties.