I love scalloped potatoes, but most recipes are filled with fat and calories from the excess butter and cheese used. This dish uses two varieties of potatoes, creating a sweet and savoury flavour. The oyster mushrooms
give the dish a wonderful taste and texture, and the evaporated milk gives it a creamy consistency without using heavy cream or butter.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil sprayed with vegetable oil and coat a 9- × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Layer both kinds of potatoes on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, just until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Place the overlapping potato slices in the
prepared baking dish.
3. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan sprayed with cooking spray, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and garlic for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in the mushrooms, thyme and salt and pepper and cook for 8 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned and dry. In a bowl, whisk together the stock, evaporated milk and flour and stir into the mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour over the potatoes.
4. In a bowl, stir together the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and sprinkle over the casserole.
5. To make the crumb topping In another bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, oil, water and Parmesan. Sprinkle over the casserole.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
1 lb peeled Yukon Gold potatoes sliced into ¼-inch
1 lb peeled sweet potatoes sliced into ¼-inch
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 tsp minced garlic
3 cups sliced oyster mushrooms
½ tsp dried thyme
pinch of salt and ground
1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup canned evaporated 2% milk
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
¾ cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese (2¼ oz)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
1⁄3 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp water
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (¼ oz)
Makes 8 servings.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Make ahead: Prepare the entire dish early in the day and bake just before serving.
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 33.8 g
Fibre 4 g
Protein 9.1 g
Total fat 5.6 g
Saturated fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Sodium 218 mg