You want to cut back on the sugar in your diet so you start reading food labels.
The problem is that there are other ingredients that duplicate sugar. Here are some to watch out for.
- Anything ending in “ose” – fructose / glucose/ sucrose/ dextrose / lactose and maltose
- Evaporated cane juice.
- Agave nectar is higher in fructose than cane sugar
- High fructose corn syrup.
- Fruit juice concentrate
- 100% fruit juice. Eat your fruit don’t drink it
- Organic brown rice syrup found in energy and cereal bars and baby formula
- Blackstrap molasses is sugar but contains more nutrients
Don’t eliminate all of these just know how much you’re consuming
Look for the total grams of sugar and divide by 4 which equals the number of tsp of sugar you’re consuming. So 40 gm of sugar equals 10 tsp