These brownies are delicious, but are also lighter than other brownies. They’re a huge hit at my catering company. The cocoa, oil and yogurt that replace the traditional butter and chocolate are the way to keep the calorie and fat count low.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking oil.
2. For the brownies, combine the sugar, oil, egg and vanilla in a bowl and mix well. Add
the cocoa, mixing it in well. Add the flour, baking powder, yogurt and chocolate chips,
mixing just until combined and smooth. Don’t overmix.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes,
just until set. Do not overbake. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before icing.
4. To make the icing, place cream cheese, icing sugar, 1 ½ tsp cocoa powder and water
in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Spread over the top of the
5. Cut into squares and garnish with a dusting of icing sugar, or drizzle melted dark and
white chocolate overtop.
²/³ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¹/³ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¹/³ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup low-fat yogurt or sour cream
semi-sweet chocolate chips
light cream cheese
²/³ cup icing sugar
1 ½ tsp
unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp
dusting of icing sugar
Nutritional Analysis per Serving (1 brownie)
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1.5g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Make Ahead: Make Ahead:Bake and store for a day, well wrapped, or freeze for up to 2 weeks.