It is very confusing today to know which fish are safe to eat.
Many are overfished or caught or farmed in ways that harm other marine life or the environment. Many contain excess mercury or pcbs which should be avoided by children and pregnant or nursing women.
Which fish are harmful and should only be eaten a couple of times per month?
- Farmed raised Salmon
- Yellow Fin Tuna – fresh or canned –forget the sushi!
- Tiger shrimp, Swordfish, Chilean Seabass, Grouper, Halibut and Basa from Vietnam
The best choices are abundant, well managed and caught or farmed in environmentally friendly ways and include:
- Arctic char, Basa farmed in the United states , Albacore white canned tuna
- Haddock otherwise known as fish and chips
- Clams, Mussels, Lake White Fish, Tilapia, Rainbow Trout, Wild Salmon and Atlantic Striped Bass