I’m always looking for tasty and interesting ways to serve flank steak. I find that if you just grill it, you tend to eat a larger portion, so here I caramelize a load of onions and whole garlic cloves to create a moist and delicious topping, which also counts as a vegetable. The key to caramelizing onions is to cook them over medium-low heat and stir often.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, just until softened. Stir in the Worcestershire, brown sugar and garlic cloves. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic and onions begin to brown.
3. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Lightly spray the pan with vegetable oil. Sear the steak for about 5 minutes per side.
4. Transfer the seared steak to a baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven just until desired doneness (medium rare is about 130°F or about 10 minutes).
5. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak thinly and divide among serving plates. Top with caramelized onions and roasted garlic. Garnish with parsley. Serve.
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 lb large white onions, sliced into rounds (approx. 8 cups)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
Cloves from 1 large head garlic, peeled
1 1/2 lb beef flank steak
Salt and pepper
3 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 6.5 g
Fibre 0.7 g
Protein 35.7 g
Fat 14.1 g
Saturated Fat 5.1 g
Cholesterol 103 mg
Sodium 85 mg