Cauliflower Steak is a must-try, even for meat-eaters! If your children are apprehensive about cauliflower, roasting it, which brings out its sweet flavour, may change their minds. If desired, you can omit the olives. You can also try serving these “steaks” over a bed of tomato sauce and sprinkle them with shredded mozzarella cheese.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, leaving the stem end intact. Cut the entire cauliflower in half crosswise, starting from the top. Then slice each half into four 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch “steaks” (you should end up with 8 pieces; some florets will separate—reserve them for another recipe).
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray the skillet with vegetable oil and sauté the cauliflower “steaks” for about 3 minutes per side, just until browned.
4. Transfer the “steaks” to the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, just until fork-tender.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olives, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and basil.
6. To serve, divide the cauliflower steaks among serving plates. Top with the olive mixture and sprinkle the feta over top.
1 large head cauliflower
1/2 cup thinly sliced pitted black olives
6 sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh
basil or flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 oz light feta cheese, crumbled
Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 10 minute
Cook Time: 21 minutes
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 14.4 g
Fibre 4.9 g
Protein 6.2 g
Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 2.1 mg
Sodium 380 mg