The tomato sauce, beans and herbs give this dish a true Mediterranean flavor. Use different types of beans for variety. This is even better the next day when the tastes have combined.
1. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add 1 tsp of the vegetable oil and place over high heat. Dust the chicken with the flour and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Set the chicken aside and pour off any excess fat from pan. Wipe the skillet clean and respray.
2. Place the skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 1 tsp of oil. Cook the garlic, onion, carrots and celery, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened.
3. Mash 1/2 cup of the kidney beans; add the mashed and whole beans, tomato purée, stock, dried basil, chili powder, brown sugar, oregano, bay leaves and chili flakes to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
4. Add the browned chicken, cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the legs are pierced at the thickest point. Turn the chicken a couple of times during cooking and stir occasionally.
5. Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. (Remove the skin before eating.)
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 medium chicken quarters cut into legs and thighs
1 1/2 cups canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 cup canned tomato purée
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp dried chili flakes, or to taste
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 33 g
Saturated Fat 1g
Carbohydrates 31 g
Cholesterol 92 mg
Sodium 538 mg
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Make Ahead: Make up to a day in advance (reserving the Parmesan and fresh basil garnish), cover and refrigerate. Reheat over low heat in a covered skillet for about 10 minutes. Garnish just before serving.