Stuffed pasta shells with a creamy cheese mixture are a comfort meal. You can also use jumbo pasta shells. You will need approximately 18 to 20 shells.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9- x 13-inch ovenproof casserole dish with vegetable oil.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the manicotti shells and cook for about 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Combine the ricotta, Parmesan, goat cheese, pesto and egg in the bowl of a food processor and process until well combined.
4. Make a lengthwise split to open up each manicotti. Lay flat and place 3 Tbsp of cheese filling in the middle. Close and repeat with the remaining manicotti.
5. Combine the tomato sauce, milk and dried basil in a bowl. Pour about half into the prepared casserole dish. Place the manicotti overtop, seam side down. Pour the remaining sauce over top the manicotti and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until completely heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley and serve.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 21 g
Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 6.4 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Cholesterol 86 mg
Sodium 400 mg
Fiber 2.7 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Make Ahead: Can be baked the day before and reheated in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Watch: Mozzarella is very high in saturated fat, but it is also a good source of vitamin B12. Select lower-fat mozzarella and use in moderation.