A healthier gnocchi recipe! Gnocchi, which means “dumpling” in Italian, is a made from a soft potato dough. It’s true comfort food. Although it’s tasty in a simple tomato sauce, here I’ve paired it with cubes of butternut squash, kale and two cheeses to make it a heartier—and more nutritious—dish. The vegetables and cheese keep the gnocchi moist, so no sauce is needed. If you like a more flavourful cheese than Parmesan, try Romano, Asiago or Pecorino.
This dish also gives you a nutrition boost – Butternut squash is filled with vitamins A and C, potassium and fibre. Kale is a cancer-fighting cruciferous vegetable that contains our daily amounts of vitamins K, C and A. Try my Gnocchi with Squash, Kale and Parmesan recipe tonight!
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Spray a 9- × 13-inch (23 × 33 cm) casserole dish with vegetable oil.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, squash and red pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the squash is tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and return the water to a boil. Boil for 4 or 5 minutes, just until the gnocchi rise to the surface and are tender. Stir in the kale during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
4. Add the cooked gnocchi and kale to the squash mixture and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, and gently toss to combine.
5. Transfer the gnocchi mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the mozzarella. Bake for 5 minutes or just until the cheese has melted.
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup diced peeled butternut squash
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 lb gnocchi (about 1 3/4 cups/435 mL)
8 cups lightly packed chopped trimmed kale leaves
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 41 g
Fibre 4.1 g
Protein 10.2 g
Fat 4.5 g
Saturated Fat 2.1 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 625 mg