This is a delicious and versatile loaf that can be served at breakfast or brunch or for dessert at dinner. If you prefer muffins, just spray 12 muffin cups with vegetable oil, pour in the batter and bake in a 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. If you like a strong lemon taste, add an extra teaspoon of grated lemon rind.
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9-by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking oil.
2. For the cake, combine the granulated sugar, oil, egg, lemon rind and 3 Tbsp juice in a large bowl or a food processor; mix well. Add the milk, mixing thoroughly.
3. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the wet mixture alternately with the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated. Do not over mix.
4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. The center of the cake may sink slightly when it cools.
5. For the glaze, combine the icing sugar and 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Prick holes in the top of the loaf with a fork or wooden skewer and pour the glaze over the loaf.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/3 cup 2 percent milk
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup 2 percent yogurt or light sour cream
1/4 cup icing sugar
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp baking powder
Nutritional Analysis per Serving (1/2 Slice)
Protein 1.2 g
Fat 3.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.2 g
Carbohydrates 18 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Fiber 0.6 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Make Ahead: Bake a day ahead and keep well wrapped, or freeze for up to 4 weeks.