If you love mushrooms, you’ll get your fill in this strudel-6 cups of meaty oyster mushrooms. You can use any variety of mushrooms you like; just be sure to sauté them on high heat to get rid of the moisture. Regular field mushrooms have more moisture than wild ones and especially need to be cooked over high heat.
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil.
2. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic; sauté, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until softened.
3 .Stir in the mushrooms and stock. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are browned and there is no liquid left in the skillet. Transfer to a bowl. Cool for 5 minutes.
4. Stir the ricotta, goat cheese, milk, dill, olives, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper into the cooled mushroom mixture.
5. Keep the phyllo covered with a cloth to prevent drying. Remove 2 sheets of phyllo and place in a single layer on your work surface, with the long side facing you. Spray with cooking oil. Layer 2 more sheets of phyllo on top and spray with cooking oil. Place the remaining 2 sheets of phyllo on the stack. Spread the filling over the surface of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border along the edges. Roll the strudel up, jelly-roll style.
6. After several rolls, tuck in the ends and continue to roll to the end. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Spray with cooking oil. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
6 cups sliced oyster mushrooms (about 1 lb)
1/4 cup vegetable stock
3/4 cup light smooth ricotta
1/3 cup goat cheese
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup sliced black olives
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 sheets phyllo pastry
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 8.6 g
Fat 7.2 g
Saturated Fat 2.8 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 256 mg
Fiber 2.1 g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 37 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare strudel up to the point of baking a day in advance. Refrigerate, keeping the phyllo well covered. Bake just before serving.