This delicious, elegant and simple dish is one of my favorites for entertaining. The rolls can be left whole, sliced in half or cut into medallions. Making your own lowerfat pesto is always preferable, but for this small amount the store-bought version is fine. Buy roasted red peppers packed in water, not oil, or make your own.
1. Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil.
2. Working with one at a time, place the chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and pound to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
3. Stir the cream cheese and pesto together in a small bowl until smooth. Divide the mixture among the chicken breasts, spreading it thinly over the surface. Scatter the red pepper overtop. Starting at the short end, roll up each chicken breast and secure with a toothpick or small skewer.
4. Beat the egg and water together in a shallow bowl. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.
5. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the oil and place over medium high heat. Dip each chicken roll in the egg mixture, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Remove the toothpicks and serve whole or slice the rolls into medallions.
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
2 Tbsp light cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp pesto
2 Tbsp chopped, roasted red pepper
2 Tbsp water or low-fat milk
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tsp vegetable oil
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 31 g
Fat 7.8 g
Saturated Fat 1.9 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Cholesterol 123 mg
Sodium 369 mg
Fiber 0.8 g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare to the baking stage up to a day early, cover and refrigerate; bake just before serving, adding an extra 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time. Prepare a day early, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before serving.