To produce the 1/2 cup of spinach called for in this recipe, cook 3 cups of fresh spinach (or 1/2 package of frozen), drain and squeeze well to remove excess moisture. Ground beef or veal can replace the chicken.
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9-by 13-inch baking dish with cooking oil.
2. Combine the flour, milk and stock in a saucepan and whisk until combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly, approximately 3 minutes. Stir in the mustard and cheese and remove from the heat.
3. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring to break it up. Drain off any excess liquid.
4. Whisk the egg in a medium bowl. Add the spinach, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Add the cheese sauce and mix well.
5. Place 2 sheets of phyllo pastry in the prepared baking dish, one on top of the other. Spray with cooking oil. Add 2 more sheets and spray again. Add one more sheet and spread the filling overtop. Continue adding phyllo, spraying every 2 sheets. Spray the top sheet and tuck in the edges. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the center of the oven, until the phyllo is nicely browned. Serve immediately.
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
12 oz lean ground chicken
1 egg 3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup cooked, squeezed spinach
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard chopped
1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
10 sheets phyllo pastry
1 cup 2 percent evaporated milk
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
2/3 cup grated light cheddar cheese
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 23 g
Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 6g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Cholesterol 88 mg
Sodium 350 mg
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 31 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare to the baking stage early in the day and refrigerate. Bake just before serving, adding 10 minutes to the baking time.