Serve these with soup and salad for a delicious lighter meal, or serve them as a side dish. The cakes can also be sautéed in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking oil. Try brown rice for a change, adding more stock if necessary. Photo by Mark Shapiro.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil.
2. For the rice cakes, bring the stock to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the wild rice and simmer for 25 minutes. Add white rice, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 more minutes, or until the rice is tender. Let the rice cool slightly. Drain off any liquid. Rinse with cold water.
3. Combine the cooled rice, garlic, mozzarella and Swiss cheese, green onion, Parmesan cheese, basil and eggs in a bowl. Stir until well mixed. Using a 1/3-cup measure, form the mixture into approximately 10 patties and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake approximately 12 minutes per side, until browned.
4. For the sauce, heat the tomato sauce, milk and basil in a small saucepan.
5. Serve the rice cakes with the sauce on the side.
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 cup wild rice
1/2 cup white rice
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup tomato-based pasta sauce
2 Tbsp 2 percent evaporated milk
Nutritional Analysis per Serving (1 Rice Cake)
Saturated Fat 1g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Sodium 149 mg
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare up to the baking stage a day in advance and refrigerate. Bake just before serving. Or bake ahead and reheat in a 300ºF oven for 10 minutes.
Makes 10 rice cakes