These are definitely not your run of the mill grocery store crunchy cakes. With a great mix of wild grains, combined together with some great cheeses, these Rice Cakes are a great addition to any meal.
1. Preheat oven to 425° F (220° C). Prepare a baking sheet sprayed with vegetable spray.
2. In a saucepan bring stock to a boil; stir in wild rice and white rice; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 35 minutes or until rice is tender. Let rice cool slightly. Drain any excess liquid. Rinse with cold water.
3. In a bowl stir together cooled rice, garlic, mozzarella, Swiss, green onions, Parmesan, basil, whole egg and egg whites until well mixed. Using a 1/4 cup (50 mL) measure, form mixture into 10 patties.
4. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake approximately 10 minutes per side until browned.
5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat tomato sauce, milk and basil. Serve with rice cakes.
4 cups Vegetable Stock 1 L
1/2 cup wild rice 125 mL
1/2 cup white rice 125 mL
1 tsp minced garlic 5 mL 1
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
(about 2 oz [50 g]) 125 mL
1/4 cup chopped green onions 50 mL
1 tsp dried basil 5 mL
1 egg, 2 egg whites
1/2 cup prepared tomato pasta sauce 125 dmL
2 tbsp 2% milk 25 mL
1/4 tsp dried basil 1 mL
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 6 g
Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 149 mg
Fiber 1 g