When you find a good roasted chicken recipe, you keep it on hand for years. This is one of those recipes. Although it requires a few more steps than just a basic roasted chicken—with the roasted vegetables and tomato-based sauce—you’ll find that the end result is outstanding.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch-square casserole dish (large enough for the chicken) with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the casserole dish breast side up. Rub with 1 tsp olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the cut tomatoes, onion and green bell pepper on the prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the wrapped head of garlic on the baking sheet as well.
3. Place the vegetables and the chicken in the oven. After 25 minutes, remove just the tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Turn the other vegetables over and continue roasting for another 15 minutes. Remove the tray of vegetables, and set the head of garlic aside to cool. Add the roasted onion and bell pepper to the roasted tomatoes. Set aside.
4. Reduce the heat to 350°F and continue roasting the chicken for another 40 minutes, basting with juice from the chicken every 15 minutes. Cook until the chicken temperature reaches 165°F or juices from the thigh run clear. Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before carving. Drain the fat.
5. In a small pot, combine the chicken stock, tomato sauce, cornstarch, olive oil and dried basil and oregano. Whisk until the cornstarch dissolves. Bring to a slow boil, then simmer for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
6. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the cloves and add to the roasted vegetables. Reheat the vegetables either in the microwave or in the casserole dish in oven.
7. Carve the chicken into 8 pieces and remove the skin before serving. Place on a serving dish with the cooked vegetables and serve the sauce on the side. Garnish with fresh basil and feta, if using.
1 roasting chicken (about 3 lb) with skin
1 tsp olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
6 plum tomatoes cut into wedges
1 large onion cut into wedges
1 large green bell pepper, cut into wedges
1 head of garlic (top sliced off and wrapped with foil)
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup tomato sauce (see page 334) (or store-bought spaghetti sauce)
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup crumbled light feta cheese (about 1 oz)
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 29 g
Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 293 mg
Fiber 3 g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 85 minutes
Make Ahead: Roast the chicken and the vegetables up to a day in advance. Cut up and reheat in 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Watch: A 3 oz chicken breast without the skin has 140 calories and 3 g of fat, whereas a 3 oz chicken breast with the skin has 180 calories and 7 g of fat!