Sole is an inexpensive fish that tends to take on the flavor of whatever you prepare with it. This savory olive and sun-dried tomato filling suits it beautifully. Rehydrate the sun-dried tomatoes by soaking them in boiling water until they are softened, about 10 minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine the black and green olives, sun-dried tomatoes, breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic and mustard in the bowl of food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and all the ingredients are well combined but still thick, crumbly and chunky.
3. Prepare the coating by combining the egg and milk in a small bowl. Place the breadcrumbs on a shallow plate.
4. Lay the sole fillets flat and place some of the olive mixture down the middle of each fillet. Roll each fillet up tightly. Dip each fillet in the egg and milk mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs. Secure with a toothpick and set on a plate.
5. Lightly coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add the oil and set over medium-high heat. Add the fillets and sauté for about 5 minutes or just until browned on all sides. Place the fillets in the prepared baking dish and bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven or just until the fish is cooked. The fish should flake easily when tested with a fork.
1 lb sole, cut into about four
4 oz fillets
1/4 cup finely chopped black olives
1/4 cup finely chopped green olives
1/4 cup finely chopped rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes
3 Tbsp seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp Dijon mustard
FOR THE FISH:
2 Tbsp low-fat milk
1/2 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
2 tsp vegetable oil
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 24 g
Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Carbohydrates 17 g
Cholesterol 108 mg
Sodium 510 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare the fish early in the day Bake just before serving.
Nutrition Watch: In addition to healthy omega-3 fats, sole is packed with phosphorus and selenium. Phosphorus is essential for normal heart and kidney function, and selenium is a great antioxidant.