This is the moistest, lightest layered cake you’ll ever eat! Be sure to use the ripest bananas you have. I freeze my ripe bananas in their skin.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat three 9-inch square baking pans with cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and bananas in a bowl until well mixed. Add the yogurt, flour, baking powder and baking soda and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined. Pour into baking pans.
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes or just until a tester comes out dry.
4. To make the icing: Blend all the icing ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. If too thick, add a few drops of water.
5. Place one cake on serving plate. Add a thin layer of icing. Add half of the sliced bananas, repeat with other two layers. Ice top and side of cake with remaining icing.
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup + 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 tsp vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
½ cup + 1 Tbsp low fat yogurt or sour cream
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 package of light cream cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups icing sugar
2 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
Makes 16 servings
Nutritional Information per Serving