Forget eggplant or chicken Parmesan! This dish is a terrific, healthy alternative to those old favorites. It’s important to buy firm tofu, as softer tofu will fall apart, but don’t get the extra-firm product, which is too tough.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Stir the breadcrumbs and Parmesan together on a plate. Whisk the egg and water in a shallow bowl. Dip the tofu slices into the egg mixture, then coat with the bread-crumb mixture.
3. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Brown the tofu on both sides, turning once, about 5 minutes.
4. Mix the tomato sauce with the basil. Spread half over the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish. Lay the tofu slices overtop, and pour the remaining sauce over the tofu. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or just until the cheese melts and the sauce is warm.
1/2 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg 1/2
2 Tbsp water
1 lb firm tofu, sliced horizontally into 1-inch slices
2 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup tomato-based pasta sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 15 g
Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3.1 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Cholesterol 64 mg
Sodium 370 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare up to the point of baking a day in advance, cover and refrigerate. Bake just before serving.