Banana cream pie and coconut cream pie are both favorites of mine, so I decided to combine the flavors of both. Traditionally, cream pies are made with loads of whipping cream, which accounts for the excess fat and calories. I use a combination of light cream cheese, ricotta and whipped egg whites to get a delicious and light flavor and texture.
1. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
2. To make the crust, stir together the crumbs, water, and oil in a bowl. Pat the mixture onto the bottom and up the side of the pan.
3. To make the filling, lightly coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the oil and bananas and sauté for 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and sauté for 2 minutes, until the bananas begin to caramelize. Do not overcook. Pour the mixture evenly into the crust.
4. Place the coconut flakes in a small nonstick skillet and toast for 2 minutes or until just lightly browned. Set aside.
5. In a food processor, combine the ricotta, cream cheese, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, yogurt and vanilla until smooth. Add 2 Tbsp of the toasted coconut.
6. In a small, microwavable bowl, combine the gelatin and water and let sit for 2 minutes. Microwave on High for 20 seconds. Stir the mixture until it is dissolved. With the food processor running, add the gelatin through the feed tube. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
7. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they are foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir one-quarter of the egg whites into the ricotta mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just blended. Pour the mixture into the filling. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Chill for 2 hours or until set.
2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
2 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 ripe medium bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2/3 cup light ricotta (5%)
1/4 cup light cream cheese (about 2 oz), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
3 Tbsp cold water
2 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
Protein 5.2 g
Fat 6.9 g
Saturated Fat 2.1 g
Carbohydrates 39 g
Cholesterol 7.7 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Make Ahead: Can be prepared the day before and refrigerated
Nutrition Watch: Coconut is a good source of manganese, which helps in maintaining your nervous system. But it is also very high in saturated fat.