This is a real comfort meal for the whole family. Breaded chicken breast covered with mozzarella and baked with tomato sauce is simple to prepare and delicious. Complete the meal with a soup or large salad.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, mix the egg and water. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, if using.
3. Dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture.
4. Lightly coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add oil and sauté the chicken breasts for 2 minutes per side or just until browned.
5. Add half the tomato sauce to the baking dish. Place the chicken over the sauce, then pour the remaining tomato sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with the basil or parsley
1 Tbsp water (or low-fat milk)
1/3 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup tomato sauce (can be store-bought spaghetti sauce)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or parsley
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 31 g
Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 2.9 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Cholesterol 125 mg
Sodium 248 mg
Fiber 1 g
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Make Ahead: Prepare up to a day in advance. Bake just before serving.
Nutrition Watch: Parmesan cheese is very high in calcium, which is good for your children’s growing bones. But it’s also high in saturated fat, so use it in moderation.