What makes chocolate cake even better? Chocolate Mousse Cake! My recipe is a lighter way to make an indulgent and chocolatey cake that will wow your guests.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 10 inch springform pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the chocolate chips and hot water in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Mix until smooth.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine both sugars and the oil, eggs and vanilla with a whisk until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, sour cream, mayonnaise and melted chocolate. Mix until combined. Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix just until combined.
4. Pour into the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester comes out dry. Let cool.
5. To make the mousse: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and margarine and heat in a microwave on high for 30 seconds or just until chocolate is beginning to melt. (Alternatively, use a double boiler.) Whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool.
7. Meanwhile, in another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
8. Add the egg yolk to the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold in the stiff egg whites until well incorporated.
9. When cake is cool, add mousse over top and chill until firm, about 2 – 3 hours.
10. Garnish: melt 1 oz white chocolate and oil in a microwave for 2 minutes on low heat, being careful not to burn. Mix until smooth. Pour into a small baggie, cut a tiny hole at the tip of the baggie and draw straight lines across mousse. With a toothpick draw lines across to create the design.
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
1 Tbsp margarine or butter
1/3 cup egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolk
1 oz white chocolate chips
1 tsp oil
Nutritional Information per Serving
Saturated Fat 4.5g