For a real showstopper, try these chocolate chip cookies shaped into cups and filled with white or dark chocolate mousse. Because it doesn’t contain heavy cream, the mousse is lighter and lower in fat than regular mousse. Have some fun with the filling: You can make both a white and dark chocolate mousse and swirl them together or, if you don’t want to bother making mousse, you can fill these with frozen yogurt or light ice cream.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 12-cup mini muffin pan with vegetable oil.
2. In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the sugar, egg, oil and vanilla. Add the baking powder, salt and flour and mix until well incorporated (if the dough seems sticky, mix in
a little more flour). Fold in the chocolate chips.
3. Using your fingers, place about 1 Tbsp of dough into each muffin cup, pressing down to cover the bottom and sides (wet fingers, if necessary).
4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes or just until browned.
5. Remove the tray from the oven. Using either your fingers or the round end of a wooden spoon, make a 3/4-inch indent into the middle of each cookie for the mousse filling. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
6. Make the mousse: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and margarine and heat in a microwave on high for 30 seconds or just until chocolate is beginning to melt. (Alternatively, use a double boiler.) Whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool.
7. Meanwhile, in another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
8. Add the egg yolk to the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold in the stiff egg whites until well incorporated.
9. Fill the cookie cups with the mousse. Garnish with drizzled melted chocolate or berries. Serve, or chill for 20 minutes to firm mousse.
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp margarine or butter
3 Tbsp egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
Berries, for garnish (optional)
Makes 12 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 19.5 g
Fibre 0.6 g
Protein 2.2 g
Fat 6.3 g
Saturated Fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 51.3 mg