A light lemon cake that’s always a favourite dessert. The fresh taste of lemon makes it especially great for spring and summer.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a Bundt pan with cooking oil.
2. To make the cake: Combine the granulated sugar, oil, eggs and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl or a food processor and mix well. Add the milk, mixing it in thoroughly.
3. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the wet mixture alternately with the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out dry. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
5. To make the glaze: Combine the icing sugar and lemon juice. Prick holes in the top of the cake with a fork or wooden skewer and pour the glaze over the loaf. Invert once cooled.
6. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
4 tsp grated lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
2⁄3 cup 2% milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2⁄3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt (or reduced-fat sour cream)
1/2 cup icing sugar
4 Tbsp lemon juice
Makes 16 servings.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes
Make ahead: Make the cake up to a day in advance and keep refrigerated. Can be frozen for up to a month.
Nutritional Information per Serving
Saturated Fat 2g