Celebrate Pi Day with this light, tart treat. A slice will have you feeling like it’s spring! This Light Lemon Meringue Pie recipe is sure to be your go-to pie pick for gatherings.
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray an 8 or 8.5-inch springform pan with vegetable spray.
1. In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the crust. Add some water if mixture does not come together, about 2 Tbsp. Pat onto sides and bottom of crust. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven. Raise heat to 425° F.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine lemon juice, lemon zest and eggs. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and cornstarch. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick. Pour a bit of the cornstarch mixture into the lemon mixture and whisk quickly together. Pour all back into saucepan and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened and smooth. If too thick add a little water. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine. Pour into crust.
4. In a bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy; continue to beat, gradually adding sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over middle of filling. Bake approximately 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp margarine or butter
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Nutritional Information per Serving
Protein 3 g
Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Carbohydrate 46 g
Sodium 109 mg
Cholesterol 18 mg
Fiber 0 g