Two of our favourite fast foods are pizza and mac and cheese. So why not combine these two things, but in a healthier way?
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly spray a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or pie pan with vegetable oil.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the penne according to the package instructions, just until slightly firm to the bite (al dente). Drain the pasta well and transfer to the prepared pie dish.
3. Make sauce: Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the flour, stock and milk until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is slightly
thickened and heated through.
4. Stir in the cheddar and Parmesan, and the mustard. Cook until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and toss to combine.
5. Using a rubber spatula, flatten the pasta in the pan. Top with the tomato sauce, green peppers, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into individual portions.
12 oz penne pasta (preferably whole-wheat)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
3/4 cup canned 2% evaporated milk
1 cup shredded light sharp (old) cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup tomato sauce (store-bought or homemade)
1/2 cup sliced green bell peppers
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 30
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 53 g
Fibre 5.7 g
Protein 19.2 g
Fat 8.2 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 23 mg
Sodium 399 mg