I’ve eaten many different veggie burgers and my complaint is that often they contain too much tofu, making them taste “too healthy” (in other words, not very flavorful), or they’re fried, giving them excess oil and fat. I created this recipe for The Pickle Barrel restaurant chain and think it’s the tastiest and healthiest veggie burger I’ve ever eaten. Try it and see if you agree!
1. To make the burgers, spray a small non-stick skillet with cooking oil and sauté the corn for 5 minutes over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Place in a food processor.
2. Add the chickpeas, carrot, cilantro, egg, 1/4 cup tahini, 3 Tbsp lemon juice, bread-crumbs, onion, 1 1/2 tsp garlic, salt and pepper. Process just until the mixture comes together. Do not purée. Form into 4 patties.
3. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Sauté the patties for 4 minutes per side, until browned and warmed through.
4. To make the sauce, purée the ricotta cheese, 2 Tbsp tahini, mayonnaise, oil, soy sauce, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, cilantro and 1 tsp garlic in a food processor or blender until smooth.
5. Serve the patties with the sauce, or make burgers with pita bread, lettuce, tomatoes and onions (if desired).
1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained
1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup coarsely grated carrot
1/3 cup chopped cilantro or basil
1/4 cup tahini
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup smooth light ricotta
2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
Pitas, lettuce, tomatoes, onions
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein 12 g
Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 2g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Sodium 300 mg
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes