2016 Food Trends on Breakfast Television:
Is it your goal to get healthy in 2016? Rose has got the the latest in healthy trends for this year – from seaweed, cauliflower, spiralizing & probiotics. Check out the Breakfast Television segment here!
Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
1 medium head cauliflower
2 tsp vegetable oil
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced carrot
½ cup diced red pepper
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
¼ cup chopped green onions
- Remove the core of the cauliflower and coarsely chop into florets. Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don’t over process or it will get mushy. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 2 tsp of vegetable oil and sauté the onions and carrots for about three minutes, just until tender. Add the red pepper, garlic and ginger, sautéing for another 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower, and on a medium heat, stir fry for about five minutes, just until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir fry for two minutes, or until cauliflower is soft. Garnish with green onions.
2 1/2 cups cauliflower (about 1/2 a large head)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Pinch of salt and black pepper
1/4 cup tomato sauce
½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place cauliflower into large food processor and process on and off, just until crumbly. Place cauliflower in large microwavable bowl with 1/3 cup of water and microwave for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add more time if necessary.
- Drain water from cauliflower and mash with a fork or potato masher, along with the egg, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Pat into a 6 inch circle on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, just until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Spread tomato sauce evenly over top. Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese. Return to oven for an additional two minute, just until cheese has melted.
Cauliflower Steak with Sundried Tomato and Olive Salsa
1 large head of cauliflower
½ cup pitted thinly sliced black olives
6 rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes sliced thinly
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp minced garlic
½ tsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped basil or parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower, leaving the stem end intact. Slice cauliflower into four ½” “steaks”. Some florets will separate, which you can use for another recipe.
- In a large skillet sprayed with vegetable oil, sauté cauliflower “steaks” for about 3 minutes per side, just until browned. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes just until fork tender.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine olives, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and basil. Divide over top and serve.