Serves 16 half slices
This is a delicious and versatile loaf that can be served at brunch or for dessert at dinner. The olive oil adds a rich flavor and golden hue that matches perfectly with the pistachios and lemon.
¾ cup (185 mL) granulated sugar
⅓ cup (80 mL) pure olive oil
1 large egg
2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon zest
3 Tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
⅓ cup (80 mL) 2% milk
1¼ cups (310 mL) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped pistachios
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
⅓ cup (80 mL) 2% plain yogurt or 3% sour cream
¼ cup (60 mL) icing sugar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9- × 5- inch loaf pan with cooking oil.
- To make the cake: Combine the granulated sugar, oil, egg, and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl or a food processor and mix well. Add the milk, mixing it in thoroughly.
- Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the wet mixture alternately with the yogurt, mixing just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. The center of the cake may sink slightly when it cools.
- To make the glaze: Combine the icing sugar and lemon juice. Prick holes in the top of the loaf with a fork or wooden skewer and pour the glaze over the loaf. Cut into 8 slices and cut in half again to make 16 half slices.
Nutrition information per serving (½ slice)
- Calories 142
- Protein 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates 18 g
- Fiber 0.6 g
- Total fat 4.8 g
- Saturated fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 13 mg