Portobello mushrooms are known as “steak” for the vegetarian. They are a delicious, meaty and filling meal. You can always substitute 3 ounces (90 g) of frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed from all excess moisture, for the fresh spinach.
2 Tbsp 2% milk
4 medium portobello mushrooms (stems removed)
½ cup (125 mL) seasoned dry breadcrumbs
2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onions
2 tsp (10 mL) chopped garlic
½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped mushroom stems
½ cup (125 mL) finely diced red bell pepper
3 cups (750 mL) fresh baby spinach
¼ cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese (¾ oz/20 g)
2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
3 Tbsp (45 mL) chopped black olives
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese (1 oz/30 g)
- Spray a baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Combine the egg and milk. Dip the portobellos in the egg wash and then in the breadcrumbs. Spray the mushrooms with vegetable oil.
- Place in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set the oven to broil.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onions until softened. Add the garlic and chopped mushroom stems and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Add the bell peppers and spinach and cook just until wilted about 2 minutes.. Add the Parmesan cheese, olive oil and olives. Divide overtop of the mushroom caps and dot with the goat cheese.
- Broil for 1 minute, just until the goat cheese is browned.
Rose’s tip: Replace the spinach with arugula or baby kale if you like. Marinating the portobellos for a couple of hours before cooking enhances the flavour.
Health tip: Portobello mushrooms are one of the lowest-calorie vegetables you can consume. One medium mushroom has only 18 calories and 0 grams of fat. It also contains 350 mg potassium, which is about 10% of your daily requirement
Make ahead: You can prepare the mushroom mixture early in the day. Bake the mushroom just before serving then continue with recipe.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving
Protein 9.3 g
Carbohydrates 20.5 g
Fiber 3.6 g
Total fat 9.7 g
Saturated fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 302 mg